Monday, July 10, 2006

Critical Thinking

I spent a good portion of Saturday sitting on a cliff, staring into the past. I don't mean this in some weird, melodramatic way. This was no Dark Night of My Soul, it was just a restful break from the grinding activity of employment and civilization. I wasn't looking into my past. My past is insignificant in comparison to what I was seeing.

I was sitting on top of a formation known as Grand Mesa Basalt. Named with the whimsy geologists are loathed for, it sits predictably on top of the Grand Mesa. Basalt is volcanic rock. The Grand Mesa which towers over the Grand Valley in regal snooty contempt, is formed, as most Mesas are, by a cap of erosion resistant material sitting on top of softer, more mutable material. The Grand Mesa is very young. The cap is around ten million years old in mythos du jour. Under the cap, the largest formation is Cretaceous Wasatch.

I sat on the edge of the cap, a cliff section of the western bout appropriately called Land's End. The shale formation know as Mancos formed the low point of my vista, almost seven thousand feet below me, but only twenty miles away. The Mancos formation is the mud bottom of a littoral sea that stretched from Northern California down to Mexico City about 90 million years ago.

To the West of my show was the massive cliffs of two different deserts, millions of years apart. The Jurassic had seen the formation of a brilliant red sand desert with dunes reaching three hundred feet in this area, which a few million years later would be covered by a river much like the Mississippi. Under the blood-red Triassic Chinle, the dark stain of precambria pushed up out of the ground, exploding to the surface hinting at the great forces grinding away in the Lithosphere. This section of rock was 1.7 billion years old.

From my perch, I could see from the very recent history of upright walkers, through the flowering plants, Down through the ages of Mastodon, Stegosaurus, strange amphibia, protozoa, and finally to the very origins of life. It was stretched out like a scroll with tick marks millions of times the span of my years.

My friend engaged me in conversation. As I usually do, I engage in incredibly small talk when I'm thinking massive thoughts. I mentioned camping out on this rim in my old 1975 International Harvester Scout. He looked at me funny. Not at the waterfall right next to me or the towering cliffs, ten million years old. The far Uncompahgre with its claim to age in the billions did not raise a pulse of thought on his brain. He commented flippantly, "Man, that Scout that was a long, long time ago, dude."

"Yeah, six whole years," I laughed, "Dude."

5 comments:

Janet said...

Be careful shooting out those impressive numbers... I am now currently feeling very insignificant.

Bill C said...

"What are these 'cliff' things you mention?" asks the vista-deprived Florida flatlander.

*sigh*

Kate Robinson said...

hi casey

Anonymous said...

I remember once, many years ago (I could probably work it out but I'm too lazy - suffice to say I was much younger), I was walking through a downtown plaza here in Sydney. There was a big brand new projection screen just installed and on it at that moment were (relatively) live pictures being beamed back from Voyager as it swooped past Saturn. These were the first pictures ever taken of Saturn this close.

I remember having that feeling of awe that you're talking about Casey. The sheer distance, the loneliness, the tiny voice in the wilderness. The amazing yearning of humankind to keep on stretching out.

I stood there for minutes in the autumn sunlight, washed by this awe.

And then I realized that in that plaza, not one other person was looking. They were eating their lunches.

I understood from that moment how huge is the mountain we still have to climb.

Rock Hammer said...

Janet: I try not to thro such big ideas around too often, that's the kind of thing that makes you lose friends.

RJ: "Cliffs" are the large vertical sections of rock. Imagine Florida turned on its side.

Kate: Hello to you

Anaglyph: Some day, I hope I can open just a few eyes.