Saturday, November 25, 2006

Pilgrimage I

This is a dream I had years and years ago.

I was somewhere in the range of twelve years old.

The sparse landscape of Montezuma County stretched away on all sides. On all sides of the rolling fields of dark brown earth furrowed for the spring's beans, the mountains framed the surreality of the fertile valley. The La Platas, the San Juans, the Sleeping Ute, the sheer cliffs of ancestral sea mud to the South showed the gateway to the Great Monument Valley. We stood n a small swell along one of the nameless county roads that belted the emptiness of Southwestern Colorado. If I had to guess, I would say were were around Cahone.

There were two others with me, one girl a little older than I and one boy too young to have been in school. They were my charge. I had to keep them safe and get them north. We had to get to the North where we would be safe.

I walked along the rich, dark road and the way was paved with miniature explosions of Indian paintbrush and sunflowers. They weaved and bowed in the wind as we passed, worshipping the movement of the warm air. The sun was high and hot. Our shadows fell under us and the only shade was from the scrubs of pinon, cedar, and sage. I lead, but not from the front. I was on the right side of the road walking with my left hand taken by the small boy's right. To the far left, the girl held his other hand. They deferred to me, but I don't0 know why.

After an interminable distance over the swells and hollers of the stretching land, we came upon man. Not man himself, but one of his temples. Towering into to the sky with the imposing lack of any aesthetic value was a laboratory. The concrete building was a square but shapeless mass secreted into the open and wild land of my youth by greedy and hungry men. The structure reached into the cobalt sky and drilled into the ionosphere with smokestacks. The parking lot was full of cars. All manner of vehicle was sequestered in the lot surrounded by the high chain link and cyclone wire so in contrast to the simple cedar post and barbed wire that lined the rest of the road.

The wind stood still. The dust that gritted in our teeth settled down, but did not mar the shining perfection of the rows of cars.

Cars have always fascinated me. I had to get closer. I had to touch one and look inside, roll under it, feel the cool, steel skin. I found a gate and realized that the other two, for reasons that are more profound than a simple rule of existence can define, could not go in. They were blocked from the entrance guarded by an empty shack and concrete pylons by something sinister, spiritual. I told them to wait and I would return. I had to see the cars. The gate opened for me.

The cars sheened in the harsh sunlight of high altitude. They were so beautiful. a 1970 Bronco, a '68 GTO, some European contraption with the shape of a woman and the eyes of a dragon, a '63 Ford Unibody F-100. I rolled in the field, bliss found in the spotless chrome and glinting paint. I inspected each vehicle closely. While I ran my hand over the hood of an International Scout 80, the light changed. The sun had went behind a cloud. My reverie faded as I looked up and saw that the midday sun had become a late afternoon. This had all been a trap. There was an ugly, white, shapeless bureaucratic car prowling towards me down the lane of cars. The faceless car was dusty and heartless, owned by the laboratory. The drivers stared ahead, thoughtless. I ran towards the gate.

In the still air, I heard the engine rev and the crunch of earth under tires become steady. They were coming up behind me fast. I wasn't going to make it. They were going to run me down in the parking lot, my blood staining the gray gravel. Then the car passed me. I had not known terror until that instant. My life was not at stake. I ran faster, my lungs burned and my legs protested. Dread realization tore my gut in two. They weren't coming after me.

They wanted the girl and the boy.

8 comments:

evenstar said...

Oh this minion agrees wholeheartedly!

I love this Casey! Makes perfect damn sense to me.... You so better be posting part 2 in the next few hours! Oh alright - I'll give ya 24!

Here's one of mine in exchange....

Me hope you like!

Regards from evenstar :)

Joey Polanski said...

How coud you RUN like that, aftr jus comin from Cahone, the cahones capital o th werld?

Rock Hammer said...

Evenstar: I can't believe I never read anything of your before. I am very impressed. Should I ever get around to updating my links, you'll be one of them.

Joey: I think you meant the "Frijoles Pintos Capitol a th Werld."

I been running with these frijoles for a while now.

evenstar said...

Thanks Casey - and likewise!

I've been seeing your name over at Rev's and finally clicked it when you laughed at my "bacterial swarms" comment. So glad I did!

Now where's part two?

It's OK.. I'm sure I've got more spare time than you - I've already updated my links to include cyclonite! Hehe! Bewdy! Zinc dust and sulfur was the best I could ever play with! Hope you got a laugh out of my latest post title too :)

Cheers! I'll be back :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Two Lane Blacktop meets Night of the Hunter with a shade of The Midwich Cuckoos...

Charles Addams once did this great cartoon with a big ol' house/laboratory, and a worried-looking little kid standing outside the gate that bore the sign "Trespassers Will Be Experimented Upon". This story evokes the same crawly sensation...

Rock Hammer said...

Evenstar: I always preffered "RDX" to cyclonite, but both have a ring. It's not good to get attatched to a title for this blog, they change every so often. The nice thing about this title is that, as the description sits now, I'm PBXN-9, change one word to something else, I'm H-6, change another word, I'm C-4. Change maybe two ingredients and I'm Wild Turkey. Speaking of Wild Turkey...

Reverend: We need to have a movie night. Not me and you, I meant me and Veronica. Does she like giant robots?

Anonymous said...

She'll watch anything with you if you make her a brightly coloured drink with an umbrella in it.

Rock Hammer said...

Can't write part two yeet. Fingers frozen. 10° F. (-12° C)