Saturday, December 16, 2006

Everything Was Beautiful and No Highwaymen Hurt

It was night, wind a gusty torrent, ghostly galleon sailing and so forth.

Cold as fuck. Frost and ice clung on to every single surface, forks frozen, pipe frozen, booger froze in my nosen.

Some asshole had dumped over eight bunks of PVC sched 80 conduit into the back lot, a random act of stupidity, not an evidence of an over-all stupidity on the part of the dumper. Pipe of all sizes, ten foot sticks, dumped over and left over night for two nights, tied themselves in a dark gray love-knot. I had been equipped with only the shittiest of supplies, gloves a-shitty. And so on. Beautiful.

I built a new bunk of pipe, drug it from asunder, melded it in wonder. Motherfucker is six feet tall and eight feet deep. I hope I'm not, and somehow know I will end up, being the guy in a week or two who has to drag that PVC megalith inside and try to work it into the pipe corral.

At one point, the forklift, having found the drainage from a faucet left on for weeks, went spinning in the moonlight, careening in the moonlight, skidding in the moonlight and totally fucking knocked over a stack of iron 2 inch pipe.

I pulled in to the rollcage, barely saving my hand. The black pipe loosened in its casement and my face would have possibly burnt like a brand had not it been frozen. The black waves fell all around the forklift's breast in the moonlight. (Goddamn it, I wish I could see better in the moonlight). Fuck working in the moonlight. I'm pretty sure I shouted obscenities at the moonlight.

I stacked all that bullshit back up over the course of three hours, my hands freezing on the pipes. I lited the stack to a shabby former form and went to work on the PVC again. After a couple hours of wading through the , plaited, gray bramblefuck, I had another bunk built. I scooped it up onto the forklift after I used my truck to jump the battery that the cold had claimed. After rolling into the cage and lifting the bunk about two feet of the required ten, the forklift, victim of circumstance was dead from the blast of a broken propane regulator.

And so on. Beautiful.

Anyway, twelve hours and minor frostbite later, I would be home. But I will know that next time the wind blows a gusty torrent and the moon sails a ghostly galleon, and so forth, the rest of the broken bunks will wait with love knot tied in gray, woven plaits of bullshit.

11.9 hours (don't go into overtime!) of that shit last night. Fuck.

6 comments:

Joey Polanski said...

More nockturnal, somnambulatory labor?

Joey Polanski said...

Oh. By th way ...

Ovr in yer "Local Yokels" secktion, yer slip is showin.

Rock Hammer said...

Yeah, I know, I'm just lazy, I'll fix it when I get around to adding all the links of people I read fairly regularly.

This wasn't ctually some crazy dream, I just got off a Alfred Noyes kick, and finished up Breakfast of Champions. Maybe I was just drunk, but I thought the two styles would work together well.

Anonymous said...

Hey Case - a quick visit to wish you a Festive Yule and all the best things for 2007. Here's to Words!

The Rev.

Bill C said...

Hi - remember the traveling journal project? Should be underway soon. Don't Panic! but I'm sending some info to "everyone" and I don't have an email address for you. If you're still interested in participating, write me - radioactivejam@gmail.com - and I'll get you caught up on the current plans. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi - you may be interested to know that you are a Googlewhack!

You are the only return for somnambulatory hashish!