Wednesday, September 13, 2006

How To Eat An Animal, Part I

The first step to eating an animal is to kill it. You may prefer to do this with a credit card slid through a machine at the grocery store or through the placement of a gun shot. Either way, the animal is dead. Practically, most prefer the labeled friendly pink packages that let them disassociate the act of consuming from the act of killing. That is your prerogative. The initial step of preparing to eat the life that used to be, is to be suitably mindful of the gravity and beauty of what you are doing. You are contributing to the potter's hand shaping the pot. By eating another living thing, be it a carrot or a caribou, you are propagating the balance of life and death necessary to the beautiful mechanization of all living things and their orchestration in a grand improvisation.

Before you eat an animal, or any living thing, this is the first step:

Gratitude.

There are two prayers that have made their way trickling through generation after generation of men of faith who share my adjective surname. This is profound as my family is Protestant. Actually, it is incredibly more complicated than that, but "Protestant" is what my mom told me to tell the other kids who asked me about my religion. Protestantism, at least the American rural variety, finds organized prayer to be a good example of why all those worldly churches are empty and soulless.

The first prayer, preferably prayed in a cold, cold river at altitude fed by snow melt, is thus:

(Insert name here) has made it known that he has wanted to join with the blessed family in the Household of Faith. He has received the lead of Holy Spirit and is a Believer in the birth, death, and resurrection of your son, Jesus Christ. He understands that this baptism will give him the right in the eyes of God and men to preach, teach, and testify in the General Assembly and Church of the Firstborn until such time as you see fit to take him home or return in Glory. (Insert name here), I now baptize you in the name of the Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit.

The other is even less formal, but still pretty important to me:

Heavenly Father, we thank you for the opportunity to meet here in the presence of our Brothers and Sisters to partake in this meal. We ask that you look in on our widows and orphans that cannot be here with us today and hold them in thy perfect thoughts. Lord, we ask that you keep a kind heart and watch careover our Brothers and Sisters on the highways and serving their country overseas, and bless them to return safely to the fold. Heavenly Father we ask that you'd bless this meal as nourishment to our bodies and our bodies to your service.

Amen.

This last prayer is also used loosely when an animal has fallen to a bullet and will be consumed by the hunter and his family. It may come as a shock to many, but in the part of the country I'm from, the difference between hungry and fed in the winter is still the taking of an animal during the Fall's hunting season. Well, sometimes in season. Strict compliance with the law has always been the luxury of the rich. We were always so poor. More than a time or two, God and Winchester fed our huddled, poor family when times got tight.

These prayers meant so much to me. Rather, they mean so much to me. I may not believe as the rest of my family, but I did have a small and insignificant conversion on the road the other day. The road was not Damascus, it was Little Park, and the light was not from heaven, but from my two misaligned headlights. My conversion was not that big a deal, really.

Anyway, my favorite cut of elk meat, besides the ambrosial backstrap roasted over a fire, is the shoulder blade roast. The best way to cook it is in a Crock Pot. I will provide this recipe in part two.

3 comments:

JillWrites said...

What I always love about your posts is the easy juxtaposition of the sublime and the mundane. That second to last paragraph I adore, as it does that so well, and then eases the reader into the last paragraph, which is so quotidian.

(I don't know why I'm feeling so academic and analytical today. Perhaps it's because I've actually slept.)

Rock Hammer said...

Thanks. I promise to know what all that means by morning.

Quotidian?

Joey Polanski said...

Gratitude aint no less importnt fer vegetarians.

Imagine ... trackin that rutabaga fer DAYS ... finaly findin its lair ... EM THINGS LIVE UNDRGROUN, YA KNO!