Monday, February 26, 2007

Ghosts

About four and a quarter years ago, I sat in a cold room in an uncomfortable chair with my eyes locked onto the screen of an expensive and sophisticated video player. The screen swam with gray criss-cross patterns. Data transferred back and forth on the screen giving coordinates, atmospheric conditions, and conditional release information for the product materialized in the sky by the work of my team. The room was striped in the garish colors of an old and tired unit established in the dawning days of aviation. Pictures on the walls proceeded through the years of fighting machines launched and recovered in the hands of men with uncommon knowledge of simple physics and smiling skulls on their jackets. The picture ran from the Curtis-Martin biplane prototype first launched off of a converted oiler through the heyday of Grumman’s legendary run of cats, Wildcats, Hellcats, and finally, the Tomcat.

The screen showed the middle of a town I have never had the opportunity to visit. The grids of streets slowly pinwheeled giving some scale to the enormous distance between the video capture and the target. Numbers cycled through while the screen switched back and forth between a tactical loadout of the plane and the resolutions offered of the town. The screen went back to its original target, white crosshairs arbitrarily selecting the tracked vehicle with the protruding weaponry. White ghosts milled around the machine, heat registering strong on the infrared. A mechanical and bored voice interrupted the silence of the taped occurrence. A new set of numbers on the left of the screen started a downward trend. The numbers grew smaller, into the teens, as a large and glowing machine pulled up to the track. The machine began expelling occupants, dozens of men who sat around smoking and talking. The truck full of men was not a target. The numbers fell past three and the screen flared white.

My job started then. I had to sit with my clipboard and estimate what the mess of white splotches represented as losses to the enemy. I had to estimate the number of dollars lost to our single drop of a ton of steel and PBXN-9. White shapes slithered away from the burning vehicle parts leaving trails of white, liquid warmth. None made it far before all movement ceased. The room I sat in was cold, as all steel rooms are, and festively decorated for the season. Behind me, the man who had dropped, or "pickled," the shot gathered his papers and his coffee cup.

He spoke from behind us, "Night, guys."

"Goodnight, sir."

"Oh, and Merry Christmas."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Effortless, illuminated, haunting, vivid prose. That's what you have to get in your story.

Rock Hammer said...

I've noticed these kinds of posts don't get commented on as quickly. I'm not sure if it's from netborne ADD or if it's just the disturbing subject matter. Either way, in a couple of days, or a few months, someone will say, "Huh. Christmas?"

Anyway, in relation to your suggestion, I'm trying. Fiction is tough because it's like acting and I am antidramatic. You have to write in character and immerse yourself in that person. I haven't ever really tried it, with the exception of a few Twain style "stretchers" that I try to make obvious in their ribaldry. I have to admit it is a little bit exhilerating to be someone else you have created.

I'm such a whore.

Joey Polanski said...

An Gob bless us, evryone!

Grad School Reject said...

Just wanted to let you know I've read the post a few times now.

I haven't been around this blog long enough to know fact from fiction. After my third read I decided it didn't matter.

This is good stuff. Reminds me of something that you'd read in _The Things They Carried_, and that is easily in my top 10 for books.

Lawson Copy Write said...

i enjoy it tremendously.
in other notes, how does one get invited to janetwriting?
Are you going to Iraq?
I've been out of Blogger town for a while and just recently got back.
looking forward to spending some time nosing around.

Casey said...

Joey: One thing I left out was that Silent Night was playing over the RR audio. Sleep in heavenly peace.

GSR: That happened. Pretty much I try to stay away from fiction unless I make it obvious farce. I've been wanting to read that now for a while, I just have a pretty heavy list already.

Lawson: Slacker. I think you already have to know her, she had some issues with random people wandering in. You can ask her if you want. And so far, barring medical disqualification, which is about 50/50, I'll be over there in July.

Anonymous said...

Conventional wisdom (even though I can give you no really good reason that you should take any notice of that) says that even when you're writing fiction you do better to write from your own experience. I know it works better for me.

The art is to invent, but to invent from the basis of things on which you have authority.

This 'ghost' story may as well be fiction to the rest of us - we don't know you or your life. In respect to a good piece of writing though, that's irrelevant ultimately - it's what comes off the page that matters.