Friday, February 16, 2007

Linguistic Differences

I have been making great attempts at the language of Spain lately. I am in no danger of falling into fluency anytime soon.

The problem is that Spanish is so much damn work. Keep in mind that my native tongue is Rural-Coloradoan. Most of my English speaking experience is a little soft on technique. The key to speaking my native tongue is pronouncing most vowels identically and routinely dropping consonants that seem like too much work. You city folks like to call it mumbling. For instance, were you to want to explain to your Rural Colorado that you are not concerned with a choice, it would help to say this:

Ah'on't cur. Donm'ckno diffurnce t'me.

The key is to pretend that every movement of jaw and tongue is an extravagant effort that shouldn't be wasted on just any occasion. I have since learned English, but my native tongue keeps wantint'crep up. That is why Spanish is so difficult. The pronunciations are all so expressive and the mechanics pay so much attention to precise flow. I really didn't like the language until today.

You see, in English, I play guitar. It is an object held in my will, iron fists extracting some trivial game from the polished wood. In Spanish, toco la guitarra. To play insinuates a lack of concern, an informality in the approach. Toco, tocar, tocando, all mean to "touch." I do not play an instrument as a baggy clothed teenage boy plays a girl, I touch an instrument like la esposa. There is respect. There is an implied permission granted by the subject.

The difference in language carries into the musician. I submit that Jimmy Page, with his lightning speed and lightning jumpsuit is merely playing while he sashays and pinwheels all over the stage. He is producing music and putting on a production. He is using the instrument as a tool. As an axe. This is why his riffs make me want to drive fast, fuck girls, and punch faces.

Compare and contrast to the great Andres Segovia. His phrasing, so respectful, so tender, borne of years of intimate knowledge, makes emotions I have never been properly equipped to deal with flood into me and well up in my throat. I want to sit in a dark room and love this life, love a woman, feel every breath enter and escape. I want to hear every day begin again and share it with a warm body, light slanting down from the window in tiger stripes of rose and gold.

This is the difference in "to play" and "tocar."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Australian dialect, on the other hand, is pivoted on the technique of using as little effort as possible. The vowels are squashed and flattened, the drawl is more an effect of laziness than effort and contractions are used frequently to get the business of communication out of the way as quickly as possible.

Many women would say that this expediency translates accurately into lovemaking

I can't speak for guitar playing.

Joey Polanski said...

I touch a organ in Spanish.

Janet said...

I've harbored a theory for awhile now, but my love for the English language has kept me silent. This post however touches it: Our languages make us see things in different lights, so much so, that tolerance for violence and sex and capitalism fluctuates with the native tongue.

I think that English is, for example, leans towards the violence of human nature than does Spanish or French. And French is certainly more sensual. You really cannot understand a people until you understand their language.

Rock Hammer said...

Anaglyph: "...the drawl is more an effect of laziness than effort and contractions are used frequently to get the business of communication out of the way as quickly as possible.

So brevity and laziness make you good in the sack?

If you could hear my wry chuckle, I would mention Keith Urban being a FINE player, but you can't. He is not a credit to your continent.

Joey: órganos de la gente conmovedora parada. Are you the maestro to five friendly estudiantes?

Janet: Interesting thought. I personally feel that the dry nature and lack of sensuality in English makes it an extremely effective language for technical or scientific communication. It has a tendency to remove mystery from words, that's probably why the Church hated it.

Grad School Reject said...

I've been trying to comment on this post for at least 2 days now. Every response I come up with sounds gay. I've done some editing and this is what I'm left with: Nice post. I like it a lot.

Ah crap...that still sounds gay....

Rock Hammer said...

hey sailor...

JillWrites said...

Hmmm... Okay, so this is very poetic. And it makes me want to caress male angles. However, I kinda love Jimmy Page.