Sunday, November 04, 2007

Boring Cliched Blogger Moment

Now for the coolest thing a blogger ever does. It's montage time!

So, I realize this is not exactly fascinating to those not inclined toward the mineral arts, but I thought I'd show off some different prizes I have gleaned from the hills the last month or two.

First of all, I found a nice tumbled barite crystal in an arroyo out in the Bookcliffs. Sure, it''s not the prettiest girl at the party, but she'll turn heads. Maybe.


However, better than that barite, was the chunk of molten super awesome that I found in the Cave of Mysteries. It's a little known place I hit up on occasion for some fun. There I found the transparent and more sinister twin of the friendly icy crystal above:

Bizzaro Barite!






I know, still boring.

But then, hailing from the far reaches of the Uncompagre, there's fluorite!


And, fluorite again!





And some totally righteous biotite on a K-Spar and quartz matrix lovingly pulled from the black heart of the larimide. And I know at least one person will be checking out my badass Daddy-O, entedre intended.





With this much nerdiness in one place, it's amazing my Daddy-O gets any attention at all.

8 comments:

Lord Chimmy said...

So, not only do you collect rocks, but you rock out. Interesting...

Or is the Daddy-O modified to attached to some sort of rock tumbler?

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I remember my 9th-grade Earth Science teacher helped me remember halite by singing, "Halite, halite, my boyfriend's back!"

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

p.s.: "righteous biotite?" Hahahha!

That biotite is tight!!!

Anonymous said...

Bizzaro Barite looks ike some kind of chicken nugget from hell.

And aren't you sposed to put fluorite under a black light or something to impress us?

m.a. said...

It seems that if you write about nerd things, people will comment.

Good job, nerd.

Sefton said...

Go hook me up with some Halfnium. I like the color.

Casey said...

Chimmy: I actually rock out only rarely, which means that the Daddy-O, which I would say sounds like something between those old Fender solidstate combos from the 70's (think Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs) and a circular saw falling into a vat of broken glass, is more or less useless. But it looks cool and has the three channel EQ on it, so I keep it around.

Dr. No: Verse 1: I found a salty cube and it's got a greasy luster...(halite halite, my boyfriend's back!)...Found it in potash with associated sylvite...(halite, halite, my boyfriend's back!)

Reverend: Re: Blacklight, stay tuned. Re: Barite, I figured Glitch had found himself a franchise.

MA: I know. I had no idea it was this easy. Stay tuned for nesosilicates!

JMF: Have you ever seen someone shoot dragon's breath shells? That's zirconium, but I assume hafnium will do it, too. So, no you can't have any, but it's not because of the pretty color. I don't trust people with Harry Potter glasses enough to give them that sort of pyro.

Sefton said...

Have you ever held Halfnium in your hand? It's heavy as hell.