Tuesday, November 06, 2007

I Am Weary

I always knew it would happen, but I didn't want it to happen this way.

No, I wanted the sun to be hailing down from the reaches of an azure high mountain sky while the Monument Valley's thick red sand blows itself over me in a loving embrace of her native son.

I wanted to be out on the raging main throwing my back into jib lines and holding a knife in my teeth, ready to cut myself loose to fall and fall away into the final deep black of our halide original dreams.

I wanted to be off into the Revolution of some people against some government where I would fight and win and lose, finally whiling away my time in some far arroyo with a woman I make my own with skin the color of sun polished bronze and eyes that show you the world in their onyx sheen.

I wanted to be surrounded by a brood and grandbrood and great grandbrood of my descendants who would gather around me and ask me if I saw God in the failing twilight of my rheumy eyes, and I would tell them that I saw him everyday in the wrinkled hands of an elder and the pink powdered skin of a newborn.

I now face it down. I am staring down the bore of life's final stunt to get our attention before Life swallows us back into the bowels of its forever engine. It won't come how I planned, it will come while I am broke and poor and smell like a mediocre dopplebock. tonight, I will pull my guitar to my heart and tell her 'through the years, you've always loved me, and my life you tried to save. But now I shall slumber sweetly, in a deep and lonely grave.'

My eyes close as the moon rises and the stars navigate the sailors on the sea.

Of course, a person could say I am making way too big a deal out of a head cold. Those people are the ones refusing to send me baked goods. I will curse them to the valkryes tonight!


*************************************

I Am Weary (Let Me Rest), Traditional

7 comments:

Lord Chimmy said...

Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters, but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. When we found it are just men. Not gods. Not giants. Just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its' riddle, Conan. You must learn its' discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.

[Points to sword]

This you can trust.

-----

I dunno. You made me think of that line from Conan.

Anonymous said...

I missed the bit where they sent Conan baked goods.

m.a. said...

Stop being a wuss and feel better.

xoxo! OMG! LOL!

Claven said...

I have long believed that most of Fat Bob's songwriting inspiration has been derived from everyday problems.

Fascination Street = hangnail

Letter to Elise = a fly that won't leave the room

Lulluby = someone in the room just farted

At least he's making chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Casey said...

Chimmy: ...

So, you walk around the everyday world with lines (more like entire soliloquies) in your head just waiting to burst forth?

Rev: It's in Conan IV: Rise of the Souflee. I don't want to give it away, but there's a scene involving food poisoning.

MA: OMG, you are SUCH a jerkface!!! if i were you i would learn how to LOL proper ;) follow this H@t link!!!

http://www.tetherdcow.com/?p=288

Claven: You have out obscured me. You may borrow my Mr. Mohosphere Superbelt.

Claven said...

This the first time I have ever had to explain a reference to The Cure. For that, you suck for making me feel old. I hate you. I hate you. I hate you. I wish you were never born. Have a pleasant day.

Rock Hammer said...

The Cure for what? My cold?