Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Metadrinking

Have you ever let a handy societal metaphor just slide right by because you didn't have the skill to use it? For instance:

Last night, I was feeling a little down, so I went for a long walk to return an overdue book and pick up another I had been half-heartedly wanting to read. Now that I see the book has been made into a movie starring a boring action movie guy who made his career off of trite teenager pandering hip-hop and murdering the legacy of Asimov, I feel it is a priority. Unfortunately, when I got to the library, it was closed (I'm sure some huge proportion of librarians are in fact combat veterans and deserve the day off) so I went to the bar.

At the bar, I experimented with their homebrew stout, it was OK, if a little too rich a malt. Then I tried their bitter, it was OK, but to hoppy for an ESB. On the TV, since I was too early to watch the (professional) football game, I settle for watching the Air Force v. Army game. The Air Force beat Army pretty handily, at least while I was watching. The victors were restrained in their celebrations by military bearing, which is refreshing compared to the rest of the NCAA where every third string defensive end has a signature endzone routine.

Once I had drank the two beers, I settled up with the card I had just activated and walked out into the night. On the way, I stopped for a pint of bourbon. I stopped and talked for a minute to my friend's sister as she exited the college library where she had been studying. Her husband will be home from Iraq before Christmas.

So, three loyal readers, start spitting out some good English major type dubious metaphors from that.

9 comments:

m.a. said...

Sorry. I'm fresh out of metaphor and it's inappropriate to use snark at this time.

Rock Hammer said...

But you excel at snark!

Sefton said...

You referring to I Am Legend?

Chickie said...

I was all excited to hear that I Am Legend was being done as a new movie til I heard that The Fresh Prince of Bel Air was starring. I've read that story a dozen times and never pictured someone like him as the lead. Ack.

Lord Chimmy said...

I am Legend was an excellent book. Actually, the "Legend" story is only 170 pages...you'll read it in a day. But, the movie will be NOTHING like the book. It is more based on The Omega Man. But, still probably not as good as the Charlton Heston version. I'm sure the concept of the book will totally be lost on film.

I read the book completely blind, and I dug the story.

I don't have any metaphors tonight. Maybe tomorrow. Depending on how much I drink.

Casey said...

JMF and Chickie: I am referring to I Am Legend. It's been on my reading list for a couple years, but just ot high priority. Now it is going to be ruined. I could almost see someone like Christian Bale doing it, by what I have read or heard. Not Will Smith. Oh well, I figure he may have learned to act since Independence Day.

Chimmy; Awesome, I bet they have Omega Man at the library. You have a one day grace period to come up with metaphor before I smite thee.

Sefton said...

I thought Will was good in The Pursuit of Happiness. But I dunno about a vampire movie.

Chickie said...

I suggest reading the story but not tainting your mind with the movie.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Hey! I commented on here, and something went screwy on me. Well here's my lame comment again:

Like you, I always choose drinking over reading, because reading is hard, and I'm really good at drinking.